Monday, May 24, 2010

Pomegranate Creativity - POM Wonderful

One of the perks of writing a blog like this is that generous people sometimes send you free stuff in exchange for a review. My most recent freebie was from Ryan at POM Wonderful. He sent me a whole case of their delicious pomegranate juice!

Now, I could go into details about how good pomegranate juice is for you. Like how it's got more antioxidants than orange juice, green tea, cranberry juice, and red wine.

Or I could tell you how the POM Wonderful company is trying to minimize all wastes and protect our planet. Like how they use every part of the pomegranate (leftovers are used to feed cattle) or how they use the latest drip-irrigation system to preserve water.

But you can get all that information from their website so I won't bore you any further. On to the good part - the tasting!

The first thing I did was bust out a bottle and drink it, straight up. Phew! It's tart! It reminds me of tart cranberry juice. It was yummy though! And I'm not much of a drinker, but I imagine it'd make some mean cocktails.

But being the baker I am, I had to try some recipes with the pomegranate juice. I made white cupcakes with POM Cream Cheese Frosting and topped them with little fondant flowers. It was a fresh, fruity flavor but definitely not tart! Quite tasty! One of my friends actually said that was one of the best cupcakes she'd ever had!


Then, I made some cookies using a Martha Stewart recipe. Her recipe calls for pink grapefruit juice so I simply substituted the POM Wonderful! Again, the cookies were yummy. And it's nice to have something different than the classic, sometimes boring sugar cookie for a change.


Adam surprised me with his cleverness in the kitchen and made Pork Tenderloin with Pomegranate Glaze for dinner one night. Way to go, honey! The pomegranate glaze added a really nice flavor to the pork - definitely a recipe we'll repeat.

And tonight for dessert? We'll be having POM Gelato. I know, I'm already looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love POM! I use it in my smoothies. I haven't really tried any recipes with it. I need to get to that! :D

Sue said...

Very creative use of POM. I love POM!

Post a Comment